Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Pumpkin Passion

Fall is one of the best times of the year. All the leaves are changing colors, pumpkin spice lattes are out and it’s the time when all the new fashion trends come out. Most teenage girls love fall for reasons like this but I like it for different reasons. My favorite parts about fall are the perfect temperatures to go hammock in the trees, the cooler weather for playing sports, and I am defiantly a sucker for pumpkin foods.


My mom has always been a great baker and baking at high altitudes is always a challenge. She makes all kinds of yummy cookies, delicious pies for thanksgiving, and different kinds of sweet breads. My favorites are her pumpkin chocolate chip and banana walnut bread. Although, my mom only makes pumpkin bread when it is autumn. I have gotten pumpkin bread in other places such as great harvest and it is good, there is no denying that, but, my mom’s is better.
 

Ever since I was little I would help my mom bake. I would sit on the counter and get flour all over my face. I cracked the eggs, poured in the sugar and whisked it all together. The worst was when it went in the oven and you had to wait. I would sit and watch the oven timer keep ticking until they were finally done. The worst was when it needed a few more minutes to cook. Once they came out I would have to test them to make sure they were okay to eat. Then I would have to test just a few more times to make sure there was nothing wrong with them.
 

My mom also makes wonderful pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and a great pumpkin pie. Pumpkin is defiantly one of my favorite flavors and it always hits the spot when the leaves are changing. Here is my moms recipe for pumpkin chocolate chip bread. You should try to make it and keep in mind little things change depending upon your altitude. Make sure to test it a couple times at the end.
 

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
 

Ingredients:
Makes 3 loafs or 12 mini loaves)
Preheat oven to 350
1 can pumpkin puree (30ounces)
6 large eggs
1 ½ cups vegetable oil
1/3 cup of cold water
5 cups flour
2 cups of sugar
2 tsp pumpkin spice
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda in Park City  (3 tsp for lower elevations)
2 cups Chocolate Chips (semi-sweet or bittersweet)
2 cups nuts (optional)

 Combine first 4 ingredients and mix on low until moistened.  Stir the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and gradually add to the pumpkin mixture.  Then fold in the chocolate chips and nuts if you choose.
Bake at 350 for 50 minute's or until done.  If using mini loaf pans, bake for 28-30 minutes.
Enjoy!  


 Pumpkin bread right from the oven

Fall is a super fun time of year if you don’t factor in school, the end of the quarter and all that jazz. Pumpkin carving is not my favorite but can be fun if you are a talented pumpkin carver. Eating almost anything pumpkin is highly delicious and I would highly recommend it. I hope you made my pumpkin bread and enjoyed every last bite. Sharing is sometimes not caring when it comes to your sweets. Go out and enjoy the fall weather and maybe set up your hammock in the trees.
 

Happy fall,
~Corrine

No comments:

Post a Comment