Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Kind acts make a big difference

“Simple acts of kindness can go a long way,” my mom would tell me. My mom would also quote Mother Teresa. “Kind Words are simple and easy but their echoes are truly endless,” as she would say.

I always rolled my eyes or laughed and made fun of her. Little did she know I actually listened.

A few weeks ago I started my basketball season at the high school. I have played since third grade but only on a junior jazz team. You know who that goes. Parents cheering, saying sorry when you touch another player, missing 100% of your shots and basically having fun. High school was a whole different story. I was excited and very nervous.

I went to tryouts and after I was told that I would be practicing with the freshman/sophomore team as well as the junior varsity/varsity team. That meant about three hours of non stop basketball every day. I was more than excited but after day one I realized how mentally and physically challenging it was.

How does basketball relate to my moms silly quotes you wonder? Well, after I came home every night my parents were kind and supportive. I did not let on about how much it meant to me because that's what being a teenager is all about right? Wrong.

My mom has this little red and green white board hanging on the wall of my kitchen. We usually write chores, or grocery lists on it but my mom started writing inspiring quotes a few weeks ago. They related to what I was struggling with at them time and it really made me feel better. Although I still made fun of her she kept on doing it.
As the week went on I was super tired and having a great time all the same. My dad noticed this and when I came home there were flowers on the table. Attached was a little note saying we love you and keep going. The flowers were red and orange with little tiny red roses in the middle. I was so happy that my dad would do that for me. I thanked him and said how much I liked them but I don’t think he understand how much better he made me feel.

The very next day I was told by the coach that I would just be playing with the junior varsity and varsity team. I only had to attend one practice now and it was with the older girls. I was over the moon and I don’t think I would have had that opportunity without the support of my parents.

My first game is on Tuesday and I am playing junior varsity and getting dressed for varsity but will most likely just sit on the bench. The season lasts until February and hopefully we will have a winning season. As for my parents, I can’t thank them enough. I don’t show enough appreciate for all they do for me and I plan on trying harder to show them how much I care. Acting like a teenager is overrated and although it comes naturally to be rude I am going to try not to be.

My Team
Source: Park City High School Miners

Happy kindness,
~Corrine

No comments:

Post a Comment