Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Purple one piece

The definition of snow according to google is, “Atmospheric water vapor frozen into ice crystals and falling in light white flakes or lying on the ground as a white layer.” This magical stuff called snow is a lot of fun to ski on.

As I am sitting at Snowbird writing this I realized how lucky I am to have grown up skiing. Snowbird is known as a famous ski resort around the world and I am lucky enough to have it be 45 minutes away from me. I also have eight other resorts within an hour drive. I am a little spoiled with how many ski runs I have access to. I guess those are some of the perks of living in Park City, Utah.

Ever since I was little I have been skiing. I started in preschool with an after school program. I then went on to ski school. I would ski the bunny hill then go into the lodge and get a small hot coco and chicken nuggets. I wore a purple one piece with a bright pink helmet. I was snazzy and I knew it.

Me in my purple one piece at snowbird.
 My friend Kate skied with me from the get-go. We would weave through the people and try not to knock over any little kids. After we got too old for ski school we moved on to the Summit Ski team. For the first year I refused to wear the ski coats for the team because I had my new baby blue one piece that I did not want to give up. Every Saturday we would train gates in the morning then eat lunch and then all mountain skiing. I loved the lunch and eating candy on the lifts. I enjoyed the all mountain skiing and did not mind the racing although it was not my favorite. I only participated in a couple ski races but by far my first one was the best.

On my first ski race it was my birthday and I was turning seven years old. I was in the car with my dad and we were driving up to Brighton. It was about seven in the morning and the song Surprise, Surprise came on the radio. It is a song sung by Bruce Springsteen and he is by far my dads favorite singer. I loved it and sang along with my dad as we were driving up the winding canyon. Once I arrived at the race I was given my bib number which was number one. I got to go first on my first race and it was my birthday. I got in the gate and as they were announcing my name they said it was my birthday. I finished racing and by all means I was not fast but had the time of my life.

After my first race I only did a couple others because racing was not my thing. After four years I quit the team and now I just ski for fun on the weekends. I hit the slopes with my friends and family and sometimes my sister. I secretly miss my one piece but I don’t think I could get away with it anymore. I still think I am snazzy though so no worries.

Happy skiing,
~Corrine

No comments:

Post a Comment